Get Ready to Be Blown Away by the 2017 Honda Civic Type R’s Performance!
Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!
A peek under the hood reveals the Civic Type R’s impressive 2.0L VTEC turbocharged engine—the first turbo engine to ever ride inside a Civic Type R. Clothed in iconic red cowling, this powerful engine brings 70 years of Honda’s racetrack engineering to the road in one outstanding vehicle.
The Civic Type R’s engine delivers an exhilarating 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Equipped with this mighty engine, the Civic Type R set a new FWD Nürburgring lap record
in April 2017, snatching back the record from the Volkswagen GTI Clubsport S—an exciting achievement, indeed!Geared up with its powerful turbo engine, standard 6-speed manual transmission, and some awesome functional aerodynamic elements, the Honda Civic Type R was born and bred to turn heads on the track. The car’s specially tuned center-exit triple exhaust system further delivers a mighty growl to announce the Civic Type R’s speedy departure.
Notable Performance Features
The Civic Type R further features other components that help boost its track prowess, including:
- A lightweight chassis and all-aluminum hood, which help reduce the car’s weight and make it faster and more nimble.
- Big, red Brembo front brake calipers keep the brake fade in check. They are framed by 20-inch black alloy wheels.
- A limited-slip differential enables superior control and tight cornering for greater confidence and excitement out on the road.
- An adaptive damper system actively controls the car’s suspension to adjust for the driving conditions of the moment—whether you’re taking a leisurely cruise on the highway or tearing up pavement at the race track.
Outstanding Aerodynamics Elements
The Civic Type R additionally features various specially designed aerodynamic elements to enhance the car’s track abilities, including:
- A front splitter bolsters the underbody air flow, creating downforce for boosted steering control.
- Front air curtains help enable consistent braking performance.
- Vented front fenders are specially designed to accommodate the car’s widened track stance and, at the same time, help reduce drag and foster handling predictability by pulling turbulent air from around the tires.
- Functional side skirts assist with downforce and air flow to the vehicle’s rear, boosting high-speed stability and grip.
- Vortex generators located above the rear window help channel air toward the car’s rear wing for enhanced stability, cornering, and braking at high speeds.
- Rear diffuser helps mitigate drag.
When you’re tearing up the track, safety features may not be foremost on your mind—and that’s OK, because the Civic Type R is fully geared up to watch your back while you’re soaring at high speeds.
Safety features that come standard onboard the Civic Type R include vehicle stability assist with traction control, electronic brake distribution, brake assist, a multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, a tire pressure monitoring system, and an advanced airbag system that includes SmartVent front side airbags and side curtain airbags with a rollover sensor.
Like all new Honda models, the Civic Type R also features Honda’s Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure, which is specially designed to help more evenly distribute crash energy across the front of the car and also to other vehicles when it is involved in a collision.